Saturday, February 20, 2010

Trying to get some conversation started!

I know this is a new blog, but I have not had too many hits,,,,yet. So I thouhgt to myself, "maybe I should share some memories I have, to get thing started?" So here goes nothing....

I am the second daughter to Kris and Scott Marshall. Kris Boggio Marshall was Richard and Retha Boggios baby girl. I believe my grandmother was in her 40's when she had mom, so I don't have that many memories of Grandma Retha. But I do have many memories of Grandpa Richard. And I have always felt a connection to Grandma Retha, even though she was only around for the frist few years of my life. What I know of her is what I have read and stoires that I have heard. She sounded like a pretty amazing woman, and came from sucha huge family! Somtimes I wish there was such a thing as time travel, so I can go back and meet here and Grandpa when they were my age.
Anyway, Grandpa was always such a gentleman. I remember getting change from him as a child so I could go get candy, I remember him sitting in his recliner and watching everyone around him, I remember riding with him on his cool riding lawn mower, I remember the smell of his "shop", I remember Grandpa chewing Trident original and using the original chapstick. I have many memoreis of Grandpa sleeping in his recliner. But there was this one time he was "sleeping," passed a little gas and then opened one of his eyes, just enough to see who was around him, closed his eye and smiled!
I will never forget the house in Red Lodge. I loved playing in the little creek that ran threw the front yard, looking for birds nests, watching deer, and sneaking over to the scary house next door. Which is torn down now,,,I think. I loved going upstairs and looking down at everyone. I still, to this day have dreams about the little closet between their bedroom and the living room. I never really understood why the bathrooms were so tiny. I will never forget the two beds in Grandpa and Grandmas room. I believe they had light green comforters on them. I remember playing with Grandmas roll on deodorant! I don't have many memories of Grandpa on the farm, but I do have a ton of memories with Uncle David and family. Being as young as I was, I just rememebr playing and watching the adults sit around and talk about life.
However, when I was in my twenties I moved to Red Lodge and got a job at the hospital and took care of Grandpa Ricahrd before he passed. I was soo lucky to be able to help him and get to know him before he passed, becasue I never really had the chance or maturity level before. Most of these memories are not so up beat, so I will refraine from sharing. But there is this one memory that I will never forget. We were at meal time and some group came in and passed out teddy bears and candy to the residence. Grandpa got this little brown bear and it was sitting in front of his food. He was having a rough day that day so I started joking around asking him what he was going to name it "Richard Jr." I said. He just got this grin on his face and said, "I think I maybe to old for a teddy bear, why don't you keep it?" of course I took him up on it and still have the bear to this day! But after that he was talking with me and just seemed to be a little happier. Oh, and I might mention he was pretty determined to keep the candy. In fact I think he ate it all before the nurses got to him!
While I was working at the hospital I heard so many stories from other residence about how much Grandpa loved Grandma and how cute they were. I might be mistaken on this memory, but I recall a lady telling me that Grandpas parents were not to happy about the marriage to Grandma Retha. I think it had something to do with them getting pregnant out of wedlock? Anyway, I could take to the room that these two ladies lived in, but I can not recall there names!

For some reason I have notebooks full of Grandmas notes. I have a notebook with her diet, a notebook full of dates; marriages; dealths;family tree, etc. She was amazing at writting things down and I enjoy reading them. There is this one notebook full of Christmas gifts given and recieved. There is even a page where she wrote down where they spent their Christmases from 1942-1978. Aparently in 1954 Marlene got her ring and by this note Grandma wrote whopee, in red ink and underlined!!! It is through notebooks, journals, and stories that I have gotten to know my Grandparents. As you can tell by my memories, after time things gets mixed up and stories get lost. So I am begging you all to get those memories written down. Not to share with me, or post on this blog, but to have for your families. Becasue who knows who might need to read them someday. My mom was sure shocked by my demanding interest to collect family history!

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed my memories. I don't have many, but what I do have, I cherish.

Until next time
Holly Marshall Hamblin

No comments:

Post a Comment